5.00 SITE STUDY AND DESIGN ANALYSIS
5.01 SITE ANALYSIS:
The site occupies 2.2 acres to the South West to the South West of Brackley and is known as Brackley Castle. There are no visible remains of the Norman Castle that was once situated on this site between 1086 and 1173, apart from the profile of the Motte and Bailey, which is formed in part by the natural limestone ridge. The archaeological survey as undertaken by the Oxford Archaelogical unit in 1991 is attached with this document.
The site currently is in use as a four wheel “Quad Bikes” scramble course but was previously used for agricultural use, and during WW2 and before was turned over for allotments.
The site currently has an agricultural building at 22 metres long by 7.0+ wide and roughly 4.5 mteres high. It is of solid construction, utilising a 1.2 metre high concrete wall with block and timber piers to a timber roof. There are witnesses that state there were once other buildings used as a store, pens and pigsties.
The planning application is primarily to seek approval for the change of use for this site from Quad bikes/agricultural use to residential use. The proposal will seek to demonstrate sensitivity to concerns of both the possible archaeological remains and the visible appearance of the building, issues of traffic increase and extending the urban belt beyond existing boundaries.